Thinking about becoming a fire-fighter as a career or volunteer? If you are, it’s a very honorable yet challenging job to undertake. Passing the examinations to become a fire-fighter is no walk in the park either. They will require the knowledge as well as physical endurance in order for you to achieve success. We will offer you right here and now some hints and tips about how to train for a fire-fighter physical exam. We hope that this insight will be very useful to you in your pursuit for fire-fighting triumph. Check out the video below for some helpful insight.
The first goal or aim that potential fire-fighters must have in order to pass the fire-fighting physical examination is to be as remarkably fit as you possible can be. This doesn’t immediately mean that you have to eat and exercise perfectly in order to past this test, but you should be strong and coordinated as well as have a great amount of energy and an ideal cardiovascular condition. If you are a little overweight this shouldn’t be an extremely big deal, but you will certainly be tested in areas where this may be cause for a little concern because overall performance will be vital here.
The purpose behind the test
With most physically demanding careers that require a challenging physical test, a fire-fighter will normally pass their (PAT) examination and later on in their career they will be less in shape and slump towards being lazier. The best answer to this is for all fire departments to provide appropriate physical capability examinations because the job requirements cannot be taken too lightly. Fire-fighting is no joke and lives can be lost if the team players aren’t in top condition to battle fires and save lives. However, on the other side of coin it may be unethical or a little unjust to demand a physical examination that is much too difficult. We feel that it’s only fair that a fire department provide testing that will be based upon the selected jobs and the level at which those tasks will be carried out. Justice to the fire department must be served.
The PAT (Physical Ability Test)
This exam is primarily the prospect for a fire department to very effectively evaluate a potential candidate’s physical abilities. It will show the testers what the chances of a candidate’s accomplishments will be in regards to every day fire-fighting activities. Ordinarily this set of tests will be comprised of assigned areas where job-focused exercises will be carried out in a planned sequence and all under a time limit.
Training and preparing for the test
Always remember that strength, biomechanics and cardiovascular conditioning are the vital focus of this testing type. You must be physically powerful enough to handle the equipment and have enough to energy to complete it all. To improve your cardio it would be a suitable idea to practice stair running because this will likely be on the test anyway. Try to incorporate pace and time period training (just as on the test). Focus only about 20% of your training on the interval and the other 80% on your pace. Eventually start adding weight to help you gain strength such as wearing or adding more clothing as you try this exercise. Try doing this form of exercise at least 2 to 3 times per week.
To enhance your strength you should target particular muscle groupings. Grip strength is a good exercise so naturally you should find tools or gadgets that can assist you for increasing muscle capacity in this area such as lifting weights or mountain climbing tools. With weights, exercises like squats, power cleans, thrusters and dead lifts are all ideal to practice.
For biomechanics you must understand how to efficiently use your body in order to get tasks done at an easier level. Sports such as tennis and baseball help you with rotating motions that are similar to tasks that must be carried out on the (PAT). The goal is to prepare you for the dummy drag and the ceiling breach and pull so learning how to use your body weight and using the best muscles for the task are critical. Make sure you do research to ensure that you have the right training requirements as well, because the PAT can be different depending on your state. Becoming a firefighter in California is slightly different than some of the firefighter training requirements in other states. For a complete list of firefighting information by state, check out this site here.